[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
THE METRIC FORUM • View topic - Best/Worst Of (2012 Edition)

Best/Worst Of (2012 Edition)

off-topic topics and ... everything else ...

Moderators: MetricGnome, goneforeverxo

Best/Worst Of (2012 Edition)

Postby GERARDAMO » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:42 am

Yeah why not?

I'm just going to do albums because I'm half-asleep. Feel free to use whatever number of things you'd like.

Best Of
1. Stars - The North
2. Dragonette - Bodyparts
3. Bright Light Bright Light - Make Me Believe In Hope
4. Garbage - Not Your Kind Of People
5. Azealia Banks - 1991/Fantasea (I'm too lazy to pick one)
6. Carly Rae Jepsen - Kiss (I regret nothing this is a nearly perfect pop album. Bodyparts is a perfect pop album.)
7. Crystal Castles - III
8. Mother Mother - The Sticks
9. Perfume Genius - Put Your Back N 2 It
10. Purity Ring - Shrines

Worst Of
1. The Ting Tings - Sounds From Nowheresville
2. No Doubt - Push And Shove
3. Alphabeat - Express Non-Stop

I'd keep going with that one but I'm realizing that nobody on this forum would have had any hope for or interest in those albums... I was really looking forward to them, though. They were all really terrible... (I'm sorry, Shelbs, I don't know what you saw in Push And Shove. It's fronted by 3 singles, a weird attempt at rock dubstep, and then a bunch of filler songs that even ended up with one word titles that all sound like they were left over from The Sweet Escape, which also was not that great.)
GERARDAMO

Re: Best/Worst Of (2012 Edition)

Postby TerraTempus25 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:28 am

Tentative best of...
1. Trust — TRST
2. iamamiwhoami — Kin
3. Grimes — Visions
4. Kontravoid — Kontravoid
5. Sleigh Bells — Reign of Terror
6. Crystal Castles — (III)

I don't even know. I'm bad at making these.
Last edited by TerraTempus25 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TerraTempus25
satellite mind

Postby johnonymous » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:42 pm

Best of:
Metric - Synthetica
Julia Holter - Ekstasis
Stars - The North
Chilly Gonzales - Solo Piano II
Trust - TRST
The Sea And Cake - Runner
Cat Power - Sun
Lone - Galaxy Garden
Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel...
Snowblink - Inner Classics

Worst of:
Twin Shadow - Confess
Lana Del Rey - Born To Die
Purity Ring - Shrines
Beach House - Bloom
Alt-J - An Awesome Wave
Mumford & Sons - Babel

I'm sure I can think of something worse than that Chromatics album, that was painfully boring. As is Beach House, I find it hard for me to take them seriously anymore after Bloom. Subject to change. Twin Shadow is one of the worst things I've heard of in my life though...
also pretending the Ting Tings just don't exist and that Green Day stopped existing several years ago.

EDIT: definitely Alt-J. And I remembered that Mumford & Sons exists.
Last edited by johnonymous on Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnonymous
empty

Postby al » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:09 pm

metrique
al
standing in line

Postby GERARDAMO » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:35 pm

Marko didn't have Metric either :(

Synthetica falls somewhere into a forgettable middle for me... A Void, if you will... With like... MDNA and Coexist.
GERARDAMO

Postby johnonymous » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:50 pm

johnonymous
empty

Postby onthesly-girl » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:58 pm

my top, in no real order consist of like

coexist - the xx
synthetica - metric
the north - stars
reign of terror - sleigh bells
iii - crystal castles
visions - grimes
onthesly-girl
lost kitten

Postby al » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:06 pm

metrique
al
standing in line

Postby GERARDAMO » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:07 pm

GERARDAMO

Postby al » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:17 pm

These are the 2012 albums that I enjoyed listening the most this year (quite random order):

School of Seven Bells - Ghostory
School of Seven Bells - Put Your Sad Down EP
Metric - Synthetica
Garbage - Not Your Kind of People
Orbital - Wonky
Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles (III)
The Big Pink - Future This
The Birthday Massacre - Hide and Seek
Assemblage 23 - Bruise
Errors - Have Some Faith in Magic
John Talabot - Fin
Bat For Lashes - The Haunted Man
Cat Power - Sun
Jessie Ware - Devotion
Leftfield - Tourism (live album)
Kosheen - Independence
Lacuna Coil - Dark Adrenaline
Ladyhawke - Anxiety
Linkin Park - Living Things
mind.in.a.box - Revelations
Muse - The 2nd Law
Shiny Toy Guns - III
Sleigh Bells - Reign of Terror
Stars - The North
Toy - Toy
The Ting Tings - Sounds From Nowheresville
Tying Tiffany - Dark Days, White Nights
Ulrich Schnauss & Mark Peters - Underrated Silence
Grimes - Visions
Howard Shore & Metric - Cosmopolis
Ultravox - Brilliant
VCMG - Ssss
The xx - Coexist
Apollo 440 - The Future's What It Used To Be
Air - Le Voyage Dans La Lune
Chairlift - Something
Chromatics - Kill For Love
Ellie Goulding - Halcyon
Dragonette - Bodyparts
The Future Sound of London - Environments 4
Last edited by al on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
metrique
al
standing in line

Postby scnadams » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:51 pm

I barely listened to anything that I wanted to this year, which, in addition to being a super let down, means this list is subject to change as I do make my way through everything I missed.

Favourite albums
Grimes - Visions
Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles
Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel is Wiser than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Chords will Serve You More than Ropes will Ever Do
Xiu Xiu - Always
White Lung - Sorry
No Doubt - Push and Shove *
The Flaming Lips - The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends
Swans - The Seer
Perfume Genius - Put Your Back N 2 It
Nü Sensae - Sundowning
Lost in the Trees - A Church That Fits Our Needs
Lana Del Rey - Born to Die (Paradise Edition) **
Dragonette - Bodyparts
Hop Along - Get Disowned
Macintosh Plus - Floral Shoppe
Death Grips - The Money Store
Bat for Lashes - The Haunted Man

Favourite singles
Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God 2012 Remix)
M.I.A. - Bad Girls
Feist & Mastodon - Feistodon
Adele - Skyfall
St. Vincent - Krokodil

Favourite mixtapes
Azealia Banks - FANTASEA
Mykki Blanco - Cosmic Angel: The Illuminati Prince/ss

Favourite films
Laurence Anyways
Prometheus
Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie
Paranorman

Worst fucking shit I've seen in my life
Cabin in the Woods

*Fuck you Gerard
**Fuck you Gerard (ps imagine I'm blowin ya some kisses I luh ya)
scnadams
down

Postby johnonymous » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:09 pm

johnonymous
empty

Postby scnadams » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:26 pm

scnadams
down

Postby parkthatcar » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:25 am

parkthatcar
soft rock star

Postby al » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:51 am

If you want something interesting from 2012, check also this excellent song, "Katana Rock" by Dirty Ghosts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZQXmmHb920
metrique
al
standing in line

Next

Return to Other Music and Other Stuff