[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
THE METRIC FORUM • View topic - Grimes / Claire Boucher

Grimes / Claire Boucher

off-topic topics and ... everything else ...

Moderators: MetricGnome, goneforeverxo

Grimes / Claire Boucher

Postby johnonymous » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:05 pm

I was actually surprised there wasn't already a thread about her already. Yeah, this is Grimes in case you didn't know AKA Claire Boucher and she's a synthpop artist from Vancouver, now based in Montreal where she's released three albums, Visions being her most recent, and a split EP with d'Eon featuring the song Vanessa. If you like nice things, you should listen to Grimes. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-aWEYezEMk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtH68PJIQLE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oqxz6hpGbs

There's also a music video for Be A Body in the making too, she has caps from it on her tumblr and it looks very... nsfw :D
johnonymous
empty

Re: Grimes / Claire Boucher

Postby TerraTempus25 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:06 pm

TerraTempus25
satellite mind

Postby Farmer » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:07 pm

Be a Body was my favourite from the album :)
Orange juice is a bludgeoners drank.
Farmer
ending start

Postby parkthatcar » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:18 pm

parkthatcar
soft rock star

Postby johnonymous » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:01 pm

Circumambient and Nightmusic are my two favorites, Symphonia IX is really charming as well. A lot of people actually have problems with the solo in Nightmusic, how it's basically all the black keys on a keyboard or something like that. I think it's a badass solo, even if it does sound a little bit like a scale. Genesis is definitely more scale-y, not really one of my favorites either. If there's one thing that I truly respect the most about Claire is her ability to take the sound she's made and refine it, album after album. She's definitely improved up until this point, I'm really curious to see where she'll go next. I wish she'd tour here... or played Coachella and streamed online...
johnonymous
empty

Postby scnadams » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:44 am

There used to be a really great eleven minute short documentary on Claire Boucher from Emily Kai Bock that Arbutus Records published in mid 2010, it seems that video has been set to private though. It's a real shame, too, "Human Heart" really helped me to fall in love with Claire, who was enrolled in a physics course in Montreal and had aspirations to work with NASA. I haven't really been into her music since Geidi Primes, and Feyd Rautha Dark Heart is one of my most-played tracks in my music library.
Gotta try to "get" Visions, which I never thought I'd say of the girl who describes her own music as "voices in a cathedral in space, even though that's totally stupid because there's no sound in space".
Also dat lisp
scnadams
down

Postby TerraTempus25 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:32 am

TerraTempus25
satellite mind

Postby parkthatcar » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:59 am

parkthatcar
soft rock star

Postby TerraTempus25 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:46 pm

TerraTempus25
satellite mind

Postby parkthatcar » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:47 pm

I like Eight, I like the Tron/Transformers feel. I think she said in an interview that 8's her lucky/fav number, and excuse me while I gnome out but I believe her old apt number was 8 I don't think there's a track on Visions I don't like.
parkthatcar
soft rock star

Postby TerraTempus25 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:50 pm

More on the houseboat adventure .
Also I listened to Nightmusic for the first time about an hour ago and I can't STOP.
TerraTempus25
satellite mind

Postby parkthatcar » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:20 pm

I can't believe they really tried to sail this thing.
parkthatcar
soft rock star

Postby johnonymous » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:08 pm

Oh shit, is that boyfriend? ehhhhugly haha

Eight is my least favorite on the album. I warmed up to it when I realized the voice is saying "SPIDERS SPIDERS" and it makes sense being called Eight. ...That is what it's saying, right?
There are just a lot of better shorter tracks on the album, like Infinite Love Without Fulfillment or Know The Way. Eight just isn't really important.
johnonymous
empty

Postby jyw104 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:53 pm

For a moment, I thought of Fitzcarraldo, that slightly nutty Herzog film.
[b]derp[/b]
jyw104
standing in line

Postby MetricGnome » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:06 pm

She grew up and went to school about 10 minutes from where I live.

I picked up VISIONS on vinyl not really knowing that it's tracklisting is quite different from the cd. Luckily it still had all the big songs I wanted.
MetricGnome
help i'm alive

Next

Return to Other Music and Other Stuff