[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
THE METRIC FORUM • View topic - Forum Census 2010!

Forum Census 2010!

off-topic topics and ... everything else ...

Moderators: MetricGnome, goneforeverxo

Re: Forum Census 2010!

Postby Scream » Sun May 06, 2012 9:53 am

i fought the war, i fought the war, but the war won't stop for the love of god
Scream
standing in line

Postby Catatonic » Sun May 06, 2012 8:14 pm

Catatonic
rock me now

Postby GERARDAMO » Sun May 06, 2012 8:30 pm

GERARDAMO

Postby onthesly-girl » Sun May 06, 2012 8:32 pm

I know some people who don't feel comfortable using 'gay' 'lesbian' 'trans*' or 'bisexual' to describe what they're feelin', so they like using 'queer' because it acts as a nice blanket, all-inclusive term. I kinda like it. I don't think I'd ever refer to myself as queer b/c I don't mind calling myself a lesbian (although, I actually prefer just saying I'm gay lol) but yeah.
onthesly-girl
lost kitten

Postby GERARDAMO » Sun May 06, 2012 8:35 pm

I like calling myself a fag, and I blame BSS and Stars t-shirts for it entirely. I know it has a super terrible origin and connotation but whatever I like the way it sounds and I don't call anyone else a fag.
GERARDAMO

Postby Farmer » Sun May 06, 2012 8:44 pm

Orange juice is a bludgeoners drank.
Farmer
ending start

Postby GERARDAMO » Sun May 06, 2012 8:48 pm

GERARDAMO

Postby parkthatcar » Sun May 06, 2012 9:23 pm

parkthatcar
soft rock star

Postby Catatonic » Mon May 14, 2012 6:21 pm

Fag doesn't really have any negative connotation over here. People have only really used it recently as a joking reference to gays but that's only really "internet people". People are aware of what it means to Americans because of TV/films but as it isn't rooted in history as being bad in the UK no one cares and it's not in common usage in that way. It's just the word for cigarettes to most people.

And to me the biggest group of people that keep using queer as a positive thing are "right-on" homos that generally irritate me. I think that's what it is really, the sort of people that generally use it and the way it gets used "queer culture" etc, yuck. Queer as a word = weird, to me there's no way of getting away from that. It feels almost as wrong as hearing someone say "boi-pussy" I cannot think of a bigger turn off.

Catatonic
rock me now

Postby GERARDAMO » Mon May 14, 2012 6:30 pm

That's interesting. Queer has more or less become the generic and politically correct/safe term among people Stateside when referring to LGBT+ without wanting to offend anyone by leaving them out, and the people I know who typically use it most are very level-headed or my professors.

And anytime I get tired of it, I just think of the Garbage song and the word gets WAAAAAAAAAAY cooler.
GERARDAMO

Postby onthesly-girl » Mon May 14, 2012 6:36 pm

What Gerard said. Er, the first thing, not the thing about Garbage :P

Maybe it's just the same thing. 'Queer' comes off like what Gerard said here, but different in the UK? Same as 'fag' comes off differently here than the UK.. idk

I feel like you should use what you want to describe yourself, don't judge anyone else in the lgbtq community for using whatever /they/ want to use to describe themself, and refer to others as whatever they prefer to be referred as.
onthesly-girl
lost kitten

Postby GERARDAMO » Mon May 14, 2012 8:35 pm

GERARDAMO

Postby Catatonic » Mon May 14, 2012 8:37 pm

Catatonic
rock me now

Postby GERARDAMO » Mon May 14, 2012 8:40 pm

I think queer carries more connotations that one falls outside of a heteronormative/heterosexist society. It's the generalist umbrella term that exists, kind of like how straight typically describes not only heterosexual but also cisgendered now. It is a shame that our umbrella term has to imply outside the norm, though.
GERARDAMO

Previous

Return to Other Music and Other Stuff