[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
THE METRIC FORUM • View topic - What's your favourite Synthetica track?

What's your favourite Synthetica track?

Metric free-for-all

Moderators: MetricGnome, goneforeverxo

What's your favourite track from Synthetica?

Artificial Nocturne
14%
Youth Without Youth
3%
Speed The Collapse
19%
Breathing Underwater
6%
Dreams So Real
11%
Lost Kitten
19%
The Void
6%
Synthetica
6%
Clone
6%
Nothing But Time
11%

Total votes : 36

Re: What's your favourite Synthetica track?

Postby Mojo » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:29 pm

I guess I meant the number of bands I "really, really" like....I could count on two hands. After that, it's mostly bands I kind of like listening to.

It's not narrow-minded. I'm just very particular about my tastes.
Mojo
rock me now

Postby GERARDAMO » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:35 pm

At this point, I'm torn between Artifical Nocturne and Dreams So Real for favourite. I think the lyrics are a really successful blend of signature Metric insight and Emily's personal exploration that I've been really curious to hear since Knives. I'm going with Dreams because I'm still a little upset that the buildup in AN is just a repeat of the intro. I think I'd like it more if it was just the intro.

Sorry, Lost Kitten. You're still really catchy.
GERARDAMO

Postby al » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:12 am

metrique
al
standing in line

Postby johnonymous » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:49 am

Fantasies just doesn't compare though, I agree. While I don't think Metric has ever had a half-assed album, I'd like to think that Synthetica is far from just that. It rivals Grow Up And Blow Away as my favorite.
johnonymous
empty

Postby Mojo » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:02 pm

I love how Emily dissed Fantasies. What a slap in the face to a lot of her fans. What is she trying to say? That anyone that liked that album lacks depth and is into superficial music. If that's how you feel then why the hell did they put out the album in the first place? Once you put out an album, especially one that's successful, don't diss it. Just be thankful that there's fans out there that appreciate the music you create and are willing to spend their hard earned money. And if you do diss an album you better follow it up with something exceptional...I don't think Synthetica is terrible, but at the same time it's now exactly out of this world.
Mojo
rock me now

Postby GERARDAMO » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:10 pm

GERARDAMO

Postby Catatonic » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:29 pm

Catatonic
rock me now

Postby Krosney » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:01 pm

We are all missing something I don't got.
Krosney
white gold

Postby MetricGnome » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:25 pm

MetricGnome
help i'm alive

Postby parkthatcar » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:29 pm

I don't think Emily is really dissing anything/anyone. She's just making an observation about the whole album and the way it was received after getting some distance from it. I definitely don't think they have any sort of disdain for Fantasies, if anything it I'd see her having some judgment towards anything pre-Fantasies (mainly because of Dreams So Real, but then again maybe that song shouldn't be taken so literally). That said if Emily were to start bashing Fantasies I would be the first person to back her, but I don't see this as that at all.
parkthatcar
soft rock star

Postby Mojo » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:15 pm

Nothing But Time is my favourite track now.
Mojo
rock me now

Postby Mitholas » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:17 am

Still Dreams So Real for me. Finishing out my top five would probably be Lost Kitten, Nothing But Time, Artificial Nocturne and The Void.

I don't know why, but Nothing But Time sort of feels like a classic to me. For some reason, I think that a decade from now, we will count that song as one of the best out of Metric's discography. It builds up, it lifts off, it has something to say, it has emotional pay-off. Emily's vocals are also completely stellar.
Mitholas
fanfare

Postby scnadams » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:04 pm

Starting to think Nothing But Time is my favourite track from the record. I also don't remember liking this record when it was first released as much as I do now. How are you guys feeling months after the release?
scnadams
down

Postby Mitholas » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:19 am

My love for Nothing But Time has only deepened. I realized it actually (as i interpret it) has an existentialist theme, which I've been thinking about a lot lately (does that ever sound pretentious... Yeesh). I stand by all I said about it before, but would now also call it an anthem.

Not everything on Synthetica is brilliant or even all that good, but what is good might just be way better than i first thought. And the more I think about it, the more Emily's initial "this record is about staying in and reflecting..." description makes sense. I feel like Metric knew what they had in their hands and I'm just trying to catch up. I love that this record i wasn't as excited about as i thought i would be, is also the one record released this year that still surprises me upon each listen.
Mitholas
fanfare

Postby johnonymous » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:26 pm

I still stand by Dreams So Real, with maybe Artificial Nocturne as a strong second place. Nothing But Time is probably my third favorite. I still listen to Synthetica all the time, if anything this album has really reminded me how substantial all their work is and how they're probably one of my favorite bands. I came into this band, listened to all their work and claimed Fantasies was my favorite. It was like that for a while, then I liked Grow Up And Blow Away just a little bit more. Now after hearing Synthetica and going back to listen to all of Metric's work, I would say that Fantasies is at the ass end. I used to belittle Old World Underground so much, it's definitely one of the best albums I've heard.

And as for Synthetica, I am still wildly impressed by it, not even as a huge comeback from Fantasies. Easily my favorite album released this year.
johnonymous
empty

PreviousNext

Return to Main Board