[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
THE METRIC FORUM • View topic - Fantasies remix contest at Indaba

Fantasies remix contest at Indaba

Metric free-for-all

Moderators: MetricGnome, goneforeverxo

Fantasies remix contest at Indaba

Postby Catatonic » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:59 am

Metric are running a remix contest at Indaba, remixing the whole of Fantasies:

http://www.indabamusic.com/studio_access/metric

Thoughts?

I'm interested to hear the results, though I don't think I'm skilled enough to have a go myself. I'm going to download the sound files anyway because they'll be cool to keep.

Catatonic
rock me now

Re: Fantasies remix contest at Indaba

Postby TerraTempus25 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:51 pm

Still flipping shit about this. Unbelievable.
GO LISTEN TO Gimme Sympathy's "Keys + Synth.wav"
TerraTempus25
satellite mind

Postby EvanEtrics » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:38 pm

I can't remix for shit, but do I want those files? Of course I do! Who knows, maybe I'll be able to do some cool shit with them. (Not bloody likely).
EvanEtrics
hustle rose

Postby GERARDAMO » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:24 pm

I got the advanced stems for Front Row (Because for some reason there's guitar in the stem for Emily's vocals in the basic version :roll:)

It's 586 MB :shock:
GERARDAMO

Postby Scream » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:20 pm

i fought the war, i fought the war, but the war won't stop for the love of god
Scream
standing in line

Postby MetricGnome » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:27 pm

MetricGnome
help i'm alive

Postby GERARDAMO » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:36 pm

To anyone interested, there seems to be a demo-ish version of Front Row that came with the stems. It's titled "For John." I'm assuming O'Mahony.
GERARDAMO

Postby MetricGnome » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:08 pm

Check out the backing vox on GGG and also GS!!!
MetricGnome
help i'm alive

Postby Scream » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:24 pm

Scream
standing in line

Postby MetricGnome » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:41 pm

Didn't they say Front Row came together in an hour? Maybe that's how they first captured it on tape and didn't like the subsequent isolated vocal takes?[edit: it does sound like headphone leakage, just a bit louder than other songs]

I've spent a bit more time going through the sample stems. A tiny amount of leakage is audible on lead vocals, but totally normal.

Surprised to see there's less autotuning than I had initially thought. Just a couple places, IMO, high notes on HIA and Sick Muse.

A bunch of things buried int he mix I hadn't heard before. The harmonium in Blindness being the best example, that and the choir porbably explain why it never came off at live shows. I think the "choir" is a mellotron and not the band or schoolkids or some adult from the local church.

Cool to hear that some of the drum tracks are more full takes and performances onto themselves(albiet with click track) rather than studio wizardry.

BTW, some of the stems appear to be double tracked in stereo. They can be further extracted.
MetricGnome
help i'm alive

Postby GERARDAMO » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:58 pm

So, they all seem to have a For John in them (At least Collect Call and Front Row do.) I dunno if I'd call them demos as much as I would call them Not Dones.
GERARDAMO

Postby Scream » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:37 am

Wow! Interesting, interesting... The harmonium in Blindness also came as a huge shot, and now I hear it when listening. I agree - the choir is probably coming from a synthesizer.
Scream
standing in line

Postby MetricGnome » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:09 am

http://pitchfork.com/news/40106-downloa ... -yourself/
Phoenix did the same thing almost simultaneously.

Wish there was something more substantive as far as Front Row remixes.

I'm hoping that there's more remixes that show the songs in a different light or give a new twist rather than being inferiorattempt at redoing the studio version or hackey dance remixes that keep Emily's vocal and dump most of the rest. I'm hoping those take more than 24-48 hours to do.
MetricGnome
help i'm alive

Postby jayb » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:41 am

I want to live inside the breathing part of the background vocals at the false-end of Sick Muse.
get you off every time
jayb
down

Postby thebrilliantoutcome » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:21 am

backing vocals on satellite mind. oh

the lead vocals at the end are weiiird.

i downloaded the Sick Muse advanced stem because it's 2/5ths the cost of a Thai Boba Tea i compulsively buy weekly and that's okay.

there's no 'for john' business but there's a ee.Everybody-1 Final Master.97_03, which has sufficient tracks in it to be a much less beautiful version of Sick Muse. thank you John.
thebrilliantoutcome
succexy

Next

Return to Main Board